|Notes for Samuel (Spouse 1)|
Samuel and Mary (Ensign) Smith
Samuel SMITH - b. Jan. 27, 1639, Wethersfield, CT; d. Sep. 10, 1703, Hadley, MA. Son of Henry SMITH and Dorothy COTTON. Lived at Northampton, MA 1666-1680, then moved to Hadley, MA to care for widowed mother. Included in the letter referring to his father was the following reference to his stepfather, John Russell: "he was sometimes a little short of ye Charity which thinketh no Evil, at ye least I was wont to think so when his Hand was too heavy on my Shoulders & I remembered ye sweetnesse & ye Charity of my firste Father, but on ye whole said he was a Goode Man & did well by my Mother & her children & no doubt we did often try his wit & temper." Married about 1662, probably at Hartford, CT.
Mary ENSIGN - bap. Aug. 1, 1649, Hartford, CT; d. Jul. 1, 1723, Suffield, CT. Daughter of James ENSIGN and Sarah.
Children of Samuel and Mary Smith
1. Samuel - b. about 1663, Wethersfield, CT; d. Sep. 1, 1723, Suffield, CT. Married Nov. 18, 1685, Hadley, MA Joanna MCLATHLIN. Children of Samuel and Joanna SMITH: Mary married John KENT; Samuel ; Thankful married Jedidiah WINCHELL; Mindwell died young; Noah married Mary JOHNSON; Experience died young; Ebenezer; Mindwell died young; and Mercy.
2. Sarah - b. about 1665, Wethersfield, CT. Married first Oct. 16, 1684 John LAWRENCE (slain by Indians 1694), and second Aug. 15, 1705 Ebenezer WELLS (b. Jul. 20, 1699), son of Thomas WELLS of Hatfield, MA, as his second wife. Children of Sarah and John LAWRENCE: John died in infancy; a daughter died in infancy; Mary married John ALLIS; a child died in infancy; Deliverance married John BELDEN; and Sarah married Samuel SMITH. Daughter of Sarah and Ebenezer WELLS: Mary married Aaron GRAVES.
3. Dorothy - bap. 1667, Northampton, MA. Married May 30, 1687 William ROOKER (or ROCKER), who d. about 1705. Children of Dorothy and William ROOKER: A daughter died in infancy; William died in infancy; Samuel; William; Sarah; Dorothy married Joseph TAYLOR.
4. Ebenezer - bap. 1668, Northampton, MA; d. Sep. 15, 1728, Suffield, CT.
5. Ichabod - b. Jan. 24, 1670, Northampton, MA. Moved to Suffield, CT about 1699. Married about 1692 Mary HUXLEY, daughter of Thomas HUXLEY and Sarah SPENCER. Children of Ichabod and Mary SMITH: A child died in infancy; Mary; Hannah; Samuel married Jerusha MATHER; Ichabod married Elizabeth STEDMAN; James married; and Joseph.
6. Mary - b. Jan. 18, 1673, Northampton, MA. Married in Aug. 20, 1696 William BARNES (or BARNS). Children of Mary and William BARNES: Mary; Mercy; William possibly married Mary CONE; and John.
7. James - b. Jun. 12, 1675, Northampton, MA. Married Oct. 26, 1698, East Haddam, CT Elizabeth SMITH (b. Feb. 2, 1679, Hadley, MA), daughter of Chileab SMITH and Hannah HITCHCOCK. Children of James and Elizabeth SMITH: Elizabeth; James; Noah married Mary JOHNSON; Samuel; Chileab; Hannah; Ebenezer; and Mindwell.
8. Preserved - b. Aug. 1677, Northampton, MA; d. 1713. Married Dec. 15, 1697 Mary SMITH (b. Aug. 16, 1681, Hadley, MA), daughter of Chileab SMITH and Hannah HITCHCOCK. Children of Preserved and Mary SMITH: Mary died young; Ebenezer died young; Preserved; Ebenezer married Hannah BOLTWOOD; Samuel; Chileab married first Sarah/Mary MOODY, and second Rebecca BUTLER; James married Mary/Sarah SMITH; and Moses died young.
|Last Modified 27 Aug 2002||Created 18 Sep 2002|